Friday, April 29, 2016

Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, and Mexican Crema

Here in America, sour cream is the most readily available type of "soured" cream. However, France has it's creme fraiche and Mexico it's crema. Creme fraiche and crema are virtually the same, thanks to European immigrants who migrated to Mexico. Although creme fraiche is delicious, I prefer crema, specifically the Salvadoran variety that has a rich buttery flavor. For years I have been spoiled with the ease of purchasing crema from my local Mexican grocer; but alas, they have closed their doors and my heart sank. 

So what's a girl to do? Go without crema? Impossible! After perusing my French and Mexican cookbooks, I decided to make my own. After all, good abuelas have been doing it for generations. Guess what? It is so simple! All you do is add a little buttermilk to heavy cream in a jar, stir, let sit in a warm spot for 12-24 hours, stir, refrigerate, and voila! It's actually quite amazing! You have to try it!


Homemade Mexican Crema/French Creme Fraiche

Makes approximately 1 cup

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
Buttermilk (use 1 tablespoon for creme fraiche, or 3 tablespoons for crema)
Pinch of salt (optional, but I like it better with salt.)

Directions:
In a sterile jar (I use ones that I've run through the dishwasher), mix the heavy cream with the buttermilk and salt. Place the lid on lightly (it needs to breath) and place in a warm spot. (I set it in my sunny kitchen window.) Wait 12-24 hours until thickened to your liking. Stir and refrigerate until ready to use. Enjoy!
It's thick, rich, and delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment