Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tex-Mex Rice Made Easy

While some people, like my sister-in-law, are planning all things Kentucky Derby, I've got Cinco de Mayo on my mind. Which brings about my failure to post my favorite recipe for Tex-Mex rice. I have no idea where I found this recipe, but I love it and have had many requests to post it on my site. This is not a recipe for Mexican rice (Mexican Achiote Rice, Mexican Red Rice, Mexican White Rice), rather a more convenient Texas version that pairs well with barbecue, Mexican, Tex-Mex, and Southwestern cuisine. 

The beauty of this recipe is it's simplicity. No rinsing of the rice, no dicing carrots perfectly, no bashing of achiote paste in a mortar, just straightforward pantry staples of long-grain rice, half of a chopped onion, one tomato diced, chicken stock, and typical dried spices (or typical in my pantry). Once you've thrown your ingredients together, it takes no more than 30 minutes to hit the table! That's convenient enough to make everyday, and I often do! Don't forget to check back for a new recipe that will be perfect for your Cinco de Mayo!


Robin's Tex-Mex Rice

Serves 4, with NO leftovers!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 small white onion, diced (small, large, irregular, it doesn't matter!)
2/3 cup long-grain rice (I prefer Rice Select, Texmati brand. Hey, I have to, it's Texan!)
1 tomato, chopped (fine, medium, large, seeds and all, it doesn't matter!)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I prefer Gebhardt.)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup chicken stock (I always have Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base in my fridge.)

Directions:

In a medium (2-quart) pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the rice and stir until the rice turns white and is slightly toasted, but not browned, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand covered at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

*Lime wedges to squeeze over the rice makes a nice garnish.

1 comment:

  1. Looks outstanding and simple! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Alex

    ReplyDelete